Wednesday, September 3, 2014

GAPS and Candida- What I Did

My thrush
Let's face it, candida sucks!!  Yeast infections, thrush, and much, much worse.  I have suffered a lot through the years and I know there are many people out there just like me.

Candida is a yeast overgrowth in your body that leads to many health problems including yeast infections, and a growth on your tongue (Thrush), bloating, heartburn, constipation, cramping, indigestion, diarrhea, allergies, weight changes, fatigue, and more.  Now that I think about it, that might just be my one and only problem! 

Now back to what I am doing about it.  At first I was trying to do the Gaps diet but also stay away from the things that the Candida Diet said to avoid.  That was going to be really hard!  Along with all the things that I am restricted because of GAPS, I was going to be taking away even more!  So, my mom suggested an idea.  Why don't I just do the full GAPS, and only take away things that make me feel sick and to just go with my gut.  (Pun intended.)  So I could let my good bacteria grow and when I am stronger, if the candida is still there, take some candida bothering stuff out of my idea such as fruit and honey.  It has worked for me so far!  (I have been on this diet now for a month.) 

Update:  I have been on GAPS for six months now and all of my problems have greatly reduced, including my thrush.  Just go with your gut, don't try to starve yourself, that isn't good for you either.


What other problems have you guy had with Candida and what did you do about it?


Emma <3




--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gaps and Chocolate





While you're looking on websites for GAPS dessert recipes, you have probably found a trillion  ones involving chocolate!  I was really confused at this because cocoa isn't on the legal list!  I was curious and wanting chocolate so I researched it and found that Dr. Natasha said that after your symptoms are gone you can have cocoa, but only if your body handles it! 
I was really, really wanting chocolate but my symptoms weren't totally gone.... but I really, really wanted chocolate!   I tried this recipe that had a lot of cocoa and not much else and got sick.  I was really sad but still hopeful that maybe it just had too much cocoa all at once so I made brownies.  I learned something, I am really not ready for cocoa!  I got instant heartburn, much like an allergic reaction, and I felt sick and then a couple days later I could tell that I was detoxing out of my armpits because i could smell my brownies in my B.O.  (Disgusting, I know, sorry.)
Moral of the story, try a little bit of cocoa at a time and if you react, don't try it again!  Some people can handle it, but not me, if you can, then good for you! 
I hope you liked this post!!
Emma<3
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

          
  I've been on the diet for about six months now, and trust me- it was and is a struggle.  But one thing that discouraged me in this diet was having many misconceptions about it: What it was going to look like, How I was going to feel, What food I was going to eat.  These myths I believed almost made me stop the diet many times!  So, I am going to make it a little bit easier for you all and give you the cheat sheet of lies.  Feel free to print it out so you can keep on reminding yourself that what you are feeling is totally normal.
                     5 GAPS DIET LIES

1. You are going to feel great INSTANTLY.  
          I see this and it makes me want to laugh out loud.  This is what I  had thought for so long because that is a lot of what I heard from other GAPS veterans.  When I first got on the diet, I felt like CRAP.  I went through major die off, mostly because I started out with the intro diet.  I could barely walk across the yard without having to sit down and rest, it was torture!  Even six months in a lot of times I don't feel that great, but it is just a big roller coaster, sometimes you feel amazing and sometimes you feel like a load of crap and guess what?  You have more of that ahead of you!

2. There's nothing actually good to eat
          When I got on I thought that I would be eating a lot of soup, actually I thought I would be eating TONS of soup.  Nope, actually I eat breaded chicken fingers, spaghetti, chili, muffins, pies... the list goes on and on, what you can eat is essentially unlimited, especially if you have pinterest ;p

3. You will be able to eat whatever is on the allowed list
           There will be some things you won't be able to tolerate, for me it is coconut flour and bananas, for you it might be dairy products, beans, or even nuts!  You just have to really pay attention to what your body is telling you.  If you don't listen you will prolong the diet or even stop it from working well at all.  

3. At the end of this you will be able to eat the American diet.
           Let me give you a simple answer for this one: NO.  No, you won't be able to eat McDonald's and Taco Bell every meal.  If you do all of your problems will probably start to come back again, and we all kwatch what you eat even after you finish GAPS! (I know, it's a disappointment.)  Not too much bread or processed foods and plenty of natural good for you foods will be part of staying healthy. Sorry for bursting your bubble.
now that NOBODY wants that!  You are going to have to
4. This diet will heal me completely of every problem I have.
            My mom told me about this one, my eczema may still be there a little bit at the end, or maybe even my heartburn!  I may not be totally and completely free of complaints.  This is just part of it, but there are many GAPS success stories and so I believe that it can heal (or mostly heal) many things, especially if you stay on it for the right amount of time.


 I hope this helped you with your misconceptions!  Just keep going, stay strong, and be happy!

Emma <3

No comments:

Post a Comment